Sunday, February 22, 2009

A sad farewell

We were so sad to depart for our return to UK. Making it worse its a grey, cloudy day and before long there is monsoon rain in Spain. It only lasts about 30 mins as we drive north but it slows us down a bit.
 
Ahead of us is 830 km the distance from Isla Plana to the Spanish border, then 1000km to get to the French Coast and our train home, and we don't want to go............... But we have to, so its the first step, 510 km to the campsite at L'Ametlla, South of Barcelona, we have had many a stop here, but as elsewhere I am in the hands of my dads, looking out for me. And again my walk is shorter because of the bloody caterpillars, there and the path down to the beach, and the wood walk around the headland. So I have to play it safe, dads say it would be really bad for me if I get gotten by one of these critters, even lose part of my tongue or a paw, so it's good I have them looking out for me.
 
I am sitting at the PC pawing this blog, but I am told it may not get to my readers and friends for a few days, as the Spanish dongle is empty (what ever that means!) and the sites we are at have the usual wifi saga "yes we have Internet BUT its not working !!" So if this is stale news by the time you read it IT'S NOT MY FAULT !
 
We have such a long journey to do in the shortest time, so Alan has notched up the speed a bit, but we do take a slight detour off the motorway so they can have a McDonalds lunch (Alan is desperate for his last El Mac - the best beef pate burger he's had) its just 20km looped of the main road. When he gets there his face is like a smacked arse ! They have ended the El Mac promotion, he has to have something he did not want !! and add to that, a guy in the street tells them a brake light is not working !!
 
We continue our journey in almost total silence, just thinking about being back on the Costa Colida with our friends. I am missing my cream and biscuits at El Muelle with Julie, my custard creams with Pat and Dave, and I miss my Mate Jake the black Labrador, his dad Clive and Rachel, and Caroline & Ken. Barney and his Mum and dad, Liz and Dave, also Gwen my new mate, its seems daft to be leaving BUT WE HAVE TOO.
 
I am trying a new way to travel (don't know why I have not done this before !) its on the bed looking out the back window. It can be a bit bouncy, but I can stretch out, its comfy, and I can stick my tongue out at the drivers behind us, its makes them smile, particularly when I have the curtain over my head like a veil...
 
Then its on to the border, the wind is getting stronger as we get to see the snow capped Pyrenean mountains. We have 550 km to do to get to our site south of Toulouse. We are back in our friends area of France, Robert and Geoff, but they are in the Uk at moment so I cannot catch up with them and lick Geoff's feet !! Just have to wait...  One thing at least the weather is better its sunny, the snow looks so bright. One route for us would be to go through Andorra, but no Mountains or snow chains, we will go via Narbonne.
 
I have forgot to total the tolls, we are paying, and they have not been making a note so I cannot update you accurately, all they say its over €50 and getting more expensive.
 
I am so bored being cooped up in Priscilla, missing my 4 walks a day, just a quick sniff and pee at service stations and Aires.
 
We arrive at our site for the night, and there are 2 huge Pyrenean mountain dogs (well its where they come from, local guys !) in the field next to us. They are real sheep dogs, and dads tell me they are getting a bad name. The working dogs have been known to attack hill and mountain walkers, so I will keep my distance (and they are behind the fence !!). We are the only people on site, and we are in a very pretty area, with a babbling stream for me to have a walk along.
 
I was not going to start this, BUT Tom Tom was taken from his coffin, and his power cable was stuffed up his rear, and he came to life. He was to be the back up for the end of the days journey. BUT to form he added 45 mins to our trip. Through narrow roads in villages, across a single track bridge (that Priscilla had to breath in to get over !), then through more tiny villages, and then we came out back on the main road we had been on !!! can you imagine the words that came out, I had to turn away and blush !!. I think his time in this world is coming to an end, it's time for maps they say, its less stressful and more accurate, as long as they don't expect me to do the map reading !!
 
Its Sunday and we are off again for 570 km up the motorway, and I am more bored than ever (dads are not chatty so I think they are to) Its such a grim day too, the skies are so dark it looks like 6pm and its midday. The road goes on and on, we are heading towards Tours, for our overnight. Cruise control set 100 kmh we just pass by ever changing scenery, all seen in the gloom of the mist and cloud, over 6 hours trundling along. Again the site is in beautiful settings in rural France, the Site is Camping de la Touche, and the English owners are very nice.
 
Tomorrow off to Honfluer, and I know that place its where I have to see my nice Vet to get my passport sorted, I will let you know how I get on in my update. I have also been remembering things I have forgotten to tell you and pics not yet uploaded, so as soon as we have proper internet I will fill you in !
 
Leopold