Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Well its almost over !

This where we want to be !!!!

My Autumnal adventure is coming to a close. We have just returned to Priscilla after a busy morning. I went to see my French Doctor to get my passport business done. It was OK but you all know how I hate going to the Veterinary, and what made it worse was our appointment was 1015, but she was busy operating on some poor thing, and I had to wait over 30 mins before I got done. But then we did all go for lunch at a small restaurant right on the marina. Of course it was not the first place we looked at, dads were reading all the menus outside each place. They had noticed a very nice hotel/restaurant they think could be new, as they cannot remember it from the last 4 visits. L'Absinthe with very nice laid tables, BUT reading the menu made them stutter. Apparently a thin slice of apple tart was €14 (all deserts same price) A starter of Foie Gras was €33 (back in Isla Plana at Restaurant Costa Mar its €5 and is delightfully served with 3 relishes including a violet gel. So needless to say we did not eat there, we walked and found a little place (quite busy) and sat outside (as its France and Feb we had a nice gas heater next to us) Guy had a hand made burger, and was delighted it was a good as the ones he has with Robert & Geoff in Marseillian (EXCEPT he had to have green salad as they did not do fries - thought he going to have a seizure !!) I got some of it as well as some of Alan's warm herbed camembert salad. There was I noticed a bit of face pulling when they tasted the carafe of wine **!!/??@@* splutter (but you guessed it they drank it !)

So they have decided each time we return to UK it will be BIG shop in Spain as its much cheaper they say. Booze (what else is 50% cheaper for the same brand, and the wine they used to buy for €5.40 is €7.90 here so that's that. Alan did say that the one thing Spain does not do is the fine food stuff he uses, so they will deli shop in France on the last day.

So its nearly at an end, WHAT an adventure, nearly 5 months and seems but weeks. We have so many new friends and mates, a new house (nearly) and a new routine that will see us being in the sun all year (well what we get in UK). Its also the end of Priscilla our adventure friend, she's already on the market, I hope they find someone nice to take her on, she's given us the chance for so much fun over the past three years, and she's a bright and smart as when we first set off on the first trip.

As for this autumnal adventure well I hope you agree we have done, seen, and lived some fine experiences. I have lost count of the number of dogs I have met and sniffed from so many nationalities. There are many little things I remember that I forgot to put in the blog at the time, like meeting a Bernesse Mountain "Mr & Mrs" out of the blue walking along the paseo one lunch time, Mrs gave me a nice sniffing but he growled and made it clear to stay clear - Nice just being friendly.......I think they were a bit rough.....but never mind their loss !!!


Well dont look at me then !!

Yes I am better looking than your bloke !

Yesterday was just 350km so we were not too knackered, but dads did have a laugh while having lunch at a service station (without me !!) Apparently Guy picked a one glass bottle of wine to have with his Lasagnes, as Alan drives that's ok. At the till he was told he could only have the glass of wine if he bought a desert !! (this is France - wine !) so it went back on the shelf, even the French lady next in the queue wanted one and she was told no. Then they noticed trough the glass wall into the shop next door they sold regional wine by as many bottles as you like !! So there a rule well thought out !! So you cannot smoke in France and now you cannot drink the national drink !! (Cannot wait to get back to Spain !)

They say travel broadens your knowledge. Well you will remember we mentioned the trees in France that have what looks like pom poms in them (I put a picture on showing them ) well we now know what it is. When I went walking yesterday there was a huge bit broken off a tree and most of it was one of these balls. As I cocked my leg up to pee on it I was told it was mistletoe (apparently used for kissing !!!) so now we know what the millions of balls in the trees are .....

Its so cold and grey, grey, grey, the last time we saw sun was as we went from Spain into France, since then thick cloud, drizzle, and COLD, we all want to be back in SPAIN, and to add insult, dads are struggling to make Ice for the nightcaps, finding on sale in France is proving difficult - shame in'it...

So first thing in the morning will be go over the River Seine as it goes into the sea (I Know Guy will have his eyes closed as we get ever higher on pont de Normandy, and then down the motorway to the train in the tunnel, then on the other side of the road to Lincolnshire...........The End

(well maybe not - come back in a couple of days when we have got back - cus coming soon "The Life of Leopold" )